Story: FRENCH NAMED OVERALL WINNER of 2008 LSKC
Lone Star Kicking Challenge Results
James French of China Springs won the Overall Award at the 2008 Lone Star Kicking Challenge in San Marcos July 12. French was the only three medal winner in the 8th Annual Challenge, bringing home a bronze medal in Field Goal, and a Silver Medal in Punting in addition to his Gold Overall Medal. Sunny skies, hot temperatures, and a stiff breeze greeted a near record 158 competitors in the two day event. According to event organizer, Randy Rodgers, it was the best turnout since moving to a two day format three years ago. In each event the top eight finishers in the preliminary round advance to the finals for a single elimination tournament.
Ronnie Doherty of Klein, a junior who backed up Texas A&M signee Randy Bullock (a former LSKC competitor), won the Silver Overall Medal, and Southlake Carroll’s Scott Lopano won the Bronze. The Overall Awards go to the players who do the best while competiting in all three kicking events (field goal, kickoff, and punting).
Northland Christian’s Kyle Serres won the kickoff competition on Friday, with Sergio Castillo of La Joya taking the Silver Medal and Dallas Shelton’s Kevin Hardey winning the Bronze.
Cedar Hill junior Eduardo Camara took home the Gold Medal in the Field goal competition with Plano’s Bryce Eckeberger winning the Silver Medal and French taking the Bronze. Keller Fossil Ridge’s Chris Boswell set a LSKC long distance record with a 60-yard field goal.
Kollin Kahler of Waco defeated French in the championship of the Punting competion to win the Gold Medal in an all-Waco area finale. Lewisville’s Will Atterberry won the Bronze Medal.
In the Snapping event, the Gold Medal went to San Antonio Clark’s Robert Chapman, with Georgetown’s Kirby Omera taking the Silver and Mark Voosen of New Braunfels Canyon winning the Bronze.
TOP FIVE OVERALL:
1. James French—China Springs
2. Ronnie Doherty—Klein
3. Scott Lopano—Southlake Carroll
4. Will Atterberry—Lewisville
5. Bryce Eckeberger—Plano
PRELIMINARY ROUND RESULTS:
1. Kyle Serres—Northland Christian
2. Kevin Hardey—Dallas Shelton
3. Ernesto Guevara—Waco
4. Dylan Munoz—Langham Creek
5. Miguel Antonio—Lovelady
6. Ronnie Doherty—Klein
7. Sergio Castillo—La Joya
8. Ivan Cantu—San Antonio Burbank
9. Morgan Lineberry—Dallas Lakehill
10. Eduardo Camara—Cedar Hill
1. Eduardo Camara—Cedar Hill
2. Bryce Eckeberger—Plano
3. Miguel Antonio—Lovelady
4. James French—China Spring
5. Brenden Grimley—Frisco Centennial
6. Cody Radamacher—Austin Westlake
7. Jonathan Velasco—Gregory Portland
8. Chris Boswell—Keller Fossil Ridge
9. Aaron Jones—Crowley
10. Gregory Saladino—Kingwood
1. Will Atterberry—Lewisville
2. Scott Lopano—Southlake Carroll
3. James French—China Springs
4. Kollin Kahler—Waco
5. Sergio Castillo—LaJoya
6. Ronnie Doherty—Klein
7. Travis Muesse—Boswell
8. Adair Campbell—San Antonio Clark
9. Bryce Eckeberger—Plano
10. Alexander Akrawi—The Colony
1. Mark Voosen—New Braunfels Canyon
2. Brent Schroeder—Abilene
3. Robert Chapman—San Antonio Clark
4. Garrett Belt—Ft. Bend Elkins
5. Andrew Suter—Ft. Bend Clements
6. Richard Galeai—Euless Trinity
7. Derek Tesch—Blano
8. Kirby O’Mera—Georgetown
9. Chase Bullard—El Campo
10. Several players tied.